2011-10-18

The Difference between Hemodialysis and Hemofiltration


We know that Renal Failure patients usually take Hemodialysis, which can clean their blood. However, it cannot remove all the poisoning substances. There is another method named Hemofiltration, which usually is mistaken as Hemodialysis. So what is the difference between them?
The Difference between Hemodialysis and Hemofiltration
First, their principles are different. Hemodialysis involves diffusion of solutes across a semipermeable membrane. By concentration gradient and hydrostatic pressure across the membrane, excessive water, urea and other waste products are removed from blood to dialysate. Although Hemofiltration also achieves movement of solutes across a semi-permeable membrane, solute movement with Hemofiltration is governed by convection rather than by diffusion. Without dialysate, only a positive hydrostatic pressure drives water out and solutes get dragged through the membrane along with the flow of water at a similar rate.
Second, removed substances are different between Hemodialysis and Hemofiltration. As diffusion is used in Hemodialysis, only small substances can pass through the semi-permeable membrane, such as urea, potassium, and phosphate, but the large molecular weight solutes can not be removed. With the help of a positive hydrostatic pressure coursed by convection, it is better than Hemodialysis in moderate molecular and macro-molecular substances removal. Hemofiltration is more similar to glomeruli in the function of filtration.
Third, Hemofiltration is more suitable than Hemodialysis to some symptoms, such as Resistant Hypertension, Water Retention, Hypetension, Heart Failure caused by high blood volume, Uremic Pericardditis, Acut Renal Failure and Hepatic Coma. However, Hemofiltration also have disadvantages. Its price is higher than Hemodialysis due to the need of plentiful placement fluid. Blood pressure during Hemofiltration is not easy to control and low pressure and high pressure may occur if the volume is in imbalance. The small products may be not removed as effectively as Hemodialysis.
Therefore, which dialysis to choose depends on each patient’s individul condition instead of the disadvantages of those two dialyses.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, this information helps me as I teach hemofiltration, ECG changes, and hyperkalemia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 58 years old, and was diagnosed with heart failure over a year ago. My main symptoms was fatigue, shortness of breath, and a general sense that these symptoms will keep me out of normal life activities, my symptom was not being able to breathe when lying down basically . I’ve kind of resigned to the fact that this is how life will be for me back until I found herbs that stop this CHF easily and relief all the airways. My wife and her caregiver assume I can't be as active, and thus I was excused from normal life responsibilities but natural herbs from www. totalcureherbsfoundation. com really helped a but sometimes I think is God prodigy that I was able to treat my congestive heart failure but total cure herbs foundation herbal formula has a big impact on my recovery because my heart condition has been fully eliminate. They do things for me, and was too happy to comply with their service. This is a equitable of a way to get of your heart failure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete